Tuesday 14 December 2010

Antwerp Sketch

This was a sketch I drew on a recent trip to Antwerp in Belgium. I visited the MOMU where there was an amazing exhibition on graduates work. This skirt was one of my favourite pieces as it was structured and was beautifully draped at the hem. Using photoshop i cleaned up the image and changed the colours into black and white. I then defined some of the lines using the paint tool in black.

For this image i traced the outline of the original sketch and then deleted the original layer. Im not sure that this was successful. It looks like i've edited the image on paint. It wasn't experimental enough but it was a good starting point. :)
I started to experiment a little bit more with this image. In my previous brief i had been looking at the 1960's which i found really inspirational as all the prints were so bold. Whilst doing my research i came across a book that had a double page on Yves Saint Laurent's psychedelic dresses. I scanned a picture in and layered it onto my sketch changing the opacity and tidying up the edges with an eraser.




I liked the idea of layering prints onto my sketch so I scanned in another Yves Saint Laurent dress and cropped it down to a specific section and enlarged it. I then filled in my sketch with white paint so the pattern was just on the garment and the hair. I think this turned out quite well. If I had more time I'd like to experiment more with the blur tool and softer colours. I'd develop my sketch as well so she wasn't just standing still. 


No comments:

Post a Comment